« Home | not just a place... » | Why Blog? »

Mind's Ascent

The community woke up today at 3:30 am to finally pursue the overdue plan of hiking Mt. Batulao. I was pre-conditioned with the expectation that it was an easy hike. Besides, viewing the mountain from Don Bosco BAtulao, it really seems that it's an easy hike. Who would believe we have reached the peak for three hours? In fairness, we had a lot of stop-overs to accommodate our elderly companions which includes our rector and a "too-matured" adult companion. Along the way we had breakfast and recreation. We have been fooling aroung while hiking. Anyway it was never really a race to the top, but a matter of enjoying the presence of the communtiy. But I still could not accept that it took us 3 hours to reach that peak.

We are twenty hikers in all. Seventeen brothers and three priests.

I really don't dig hiking mountains before, considering that I used to be a sickly person, having periodic asthma attacks. But now, I really love hiking. We have hiked Maculot and Makiling. It's unfortunate I wasn't there yet when my brothers hiked Pulag. But hiking, tiring though it was, refreshes and recharges me to mvoe on with life.

One of our companions who is a priest and who also happened to be our formator and college professor, told us: "I wouldn't have hiked without the community. I think it is foolishness to hike a mountain and after reaching the top you'll go down."

In his goodnight talk he shared his reflection about the experience. What makes the experience beautiful for him is the fact that it was a community activity where everybody doesn't only share the same experience of pain and hardships, but also encountering and enjoying each others' presence.

I could not also imagine myself hiking a mountain alone.

More than the unitive experience, mountain climbing is about conquering yourself and surpassing your limitations. Yes, the experience of having somebody with you makes that much easier. But it is our personal choice and conviction that will bring us far.

Yesterday when our brother assistant wrote to the board the schedule for today's itinerary, I was surprised to see:

3:30 am Rising
4:00 am Departure for Batulao
5:00 am Assault to Mt. Batulao

I felt uneasy. I am used to the word "ascent" than "assault". It seems the word gives a pejorative description. I even asked this to our rector and he seemed to convince me out of respect for his authority. :)

I guess, the word is right. More than "ascent," what we did was "assault." We went home with cuts and bruises, with killer muscle pains, burned skin, and almost dehydrated. We not only conquered the mountain. We conquered ourselves.

About me

brodiz

Location:
Calamba, Laguna, Philippines

I am a pilgrim by life's occupation, an accountant by bachelor's degree, a TarlaqueƱo by place of birth, a Salesian by specific vocation, a teacher by profession, a student by formation, a writer by passion, a youth minister by life's mission, a son of God... My Philosophy of Life: "To be is to become" "To be is to hope"

Speak Out!

Welcome!

Your IP Address is:

Blogroll

Powered by Blogger

A Pinoy Blogger

PinoyWebSights Topsites List

Blog Directory

blog search directory

Blog Directory & Search engine

Pinoy Topsites

Pinoy Top Blogs | Ranking the Philippine Blogosphere

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory